The ice cube tray is a foreign object in many households because so many of us have ice makers in our refrigerators. So why should everyone have a few of these trays on hand? They can help preserve little bits of everything in perfect portions!
Here are just a few ways we use ice cube trays around our house:
- Over the summer when my herbs are in full swing, every week or so I always shred or chop enough to fill the ice cube tray, add a little bit of water to each cube and freeze them for the perfect portions to add to sauces I make that call for fresh herbs.*
Shredded Basil in cubes ready for spagetti sauce!
- Take what’s left of that bottle of wine from dinner and make “wine cubes.” These are perfect for sauces that call for just a splash of wine.*
- Ever have a recipe that calls for just a half of an onion or pepper? Chop the remaining half, place in ice cube tray, add a splash of water, freeze, and use in other recipes. Don’t let unused veggies go to waste!*
- If you’re having a party on a hot day, make ice cubes from the beverage you are serving. This helps keep the beverage cold with out being watered down.
- Probably the most fun I’ve had with ice cubes has been with my 20 month old son. I add several different colors of food coloring to the trays to make colored iced cubes and he plays with them in the bathtub. It is a great way for kids to learn colors and the mess goes down the drain!
(*After each of these are frozen, empty tray into a freezer bag and label with the contents and date.)
So head over to the dollar store and pick up a few of these to have this summer. They will definitely come in handy!
Keep tabs on all the hottest deals by subscribing to our FREE daily newsletter and follow us on Facebook! Looking for more coupons? Check out our Coupon Database or visit Coupons.com, Red Plum and Coupon Network! This post may contain affiliate links.